Friday, October 9, 2009

Incoherent Friday... Ginger Biscuit Recipe!

"Mum..." said Son 1 about ten minutes ago, "You're saying weird things because you're so tired..." So here it is, not Wordless Wednesday, but Incoherent Friday. I'd better give you the (previously typed) recipe for my ginger biscuits instead:
Old-fashioned Ginger Biscuits
Makes 60


Ingredients
300g/11oz/2½ cups plain flour
5ml/1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
7.5ml/1½ tsp ground ginger
1.5ml/¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1.5ml/¼ tsp ground cloves
115g/4oz/½ cup butter or margarine
350g/12oz/1½ cups caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
60ml/4tbsp black treacle (dark molasses)
5ml/1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/Gas 3. Grease 3-6 baking trays.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a small bowl. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream together the butter or margarine and two-thirds of the sugar (this comes to 8oz!).
4. Stir in the egg, treacle and lemon juice. Add the flour mixture and mix in thoroughly with a wooden spoon to make a soft dough.
5. Shape the dough into 2cm/¾ in balls. Roll the balls in the remaining sugar and place them about 5cm/2in apart on the prepared baking trays.
6. Bake for about 12 minutes until the biscuits are just firm to the touch. With a slotted spatula, transfer the biscuits to a wire rack and leave to cool.

16 comments:

Lola Nova said...

I love ginger biscuits! No one else in the house thinks they are as smashing as I do but, it may be my turn to make myself a treat! No, I wont eat them all myself, the neighbors may benefit as well.
Thank you for sharing!

Elizabethd said...

Time for a rest maybe? With a good book and glass of something?

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Floss
We are big fans of ginger biscuit in this household, especially Alan. I shall try this one out, let's hope mine turn out looking as good as yours. Your look quite simply superb!
Have a good weekend Floss
Isabelle x

Serenata said...

Oh thank you Floss, I can't wait to try this recipe - hopefully sometime next week as my 'boys' love ginger biscuits.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Thank you kindly Floss! I will definitely make these biscuits. They look so perfect and same sized. You sure you didn't get them out of a packet? Just kidding! You are gifted though, no doubt about it.

Michela said...

Like Sarah, I'm very impressed...how many things we can learn from you! Thank you Floss!
Have a great weekend!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

What a wonderful recipe, thank you for sharing it! I do believe I will give this recipe a try. I love homemade gingersnaps! I love using a real "treacle" over molasses, too. I think our jarred molasses here just doesn't come close to Tate & Lyle's treacle!

Pomona said...

Well, it looks a very coherent recipe - I know what I will be making this weekend! Hope you get a good night's sleep and wake up in full command of your faculties tomorrow morning!

Pomona x

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Time to take a break maybe? :) The ginger biscuits sound good.
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh you do make me smile! Incoherent Friday! I have whole weeks like that! MMMM, Yum... ginger biscuits! Want! Have a lovely weekend. xxx

Chandra said...

My grandmother makes these...only here in the states we call them cookies. Your post makes me want to make some TONIGHT! scrumptious!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I can never resist ginger biscuits, i might just have to give these a go!

Victoria x

Mami said...

Well Floss,you need to relax time,dont you? Although you are so clever to make good things instead of words. You gave me a nice hint. Thank you(Arigato)
Also I'm sure you and your son have good relationship. Good for you!!

And take care of yourself. And have a great weekend!!

. said...

They look delicious...are they good dunkers? Hope you have a lovely, restful weekend, x

Country Cottage Chic said...

Time for a break with tea & biscuits!
The biscuits look yummy....

Jayne

silverpebble said...

I'm rarely coherent on a Friday but one thing I can say is YUM. Many thanks for the recipe