Friday, December 10, 2010

A Christmas List

Lorrie over at Fabric, Paper, Thread found this meme on Vee's blog and it's fun! Why not have a try yourself? The questions are available at the bottom of this post for you to cut and paste.

j

1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider?
But where is Mulled Wine on that list? We make a good non-alchoholic one if you prefer...

j
2. Turkey or Ham?

Both, although we cook a capon here, as the birds grow up happily free-range across the stream from us.

j
3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree? The real one which grows in a pot outside our house - it stars in blog photos every now and then. It's looking a bit scrawny this year but the decorations should pep it up a bit!4. Decorations on the outside of your house?
This year I've put what I hope are artfully arranged combinations of silver-birch logs and pinecones around the place, with some gold ribbon to cheer them up. Ben may put up our string of plain lights too. Or he may not. 5. Snowball fights or sleddin’?
Ah, Son 1 broke his ankle sleddin' last year... So I may go for the snowballs if we have the option this time round.

6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? Nope. Haven't done much of it for some years. The Challenge of the Utmost Kind was most useful.


j
7. Favorite Christmas song?
Jethro Tull's Another Christmas Song (it's not my favourite of their songs, but it's better than other Christmas songs, I think).


My favourite Christmas Carol is It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, because of a memory (see below).


j
8. How do you feel about Christmas movies?
Not overly enthusiastic.


j
9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music?
Before December, although we are personally holding off chez nous, and waiting for some kind of as-yet-unheard family signal that it's time to get out the CDs... that will probably be the week before Christmas.


j
10. Stockings before or after presents?
Before!


j
11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you?
This year, my dad's coming to us! It will be our first Christmas at home for three years.


j
12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when?


We tell it with our daily Advent Nativity scene, and various other Nativity scenes that we put up on Christmas Eve. I read it as part of my Bible readings too, and the boys have some lovely illustrated versions they still look at.


j
13. What do you do after presents and dinner?
Walk.


j
14. What is your favorite holiday smell?
Spices in the amazing sauce Ben makes for my Christmas Pudding - his own recipe!
j


15. Ice skating or walking around the mall?
Ooh, Ice Skating please!

j
16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day?
On the Day itself - I think that's the British tradition.


j
17. Favorite Christmas memory?
Sitting on the rug in front of the fire (electric, I think), looking at the ethereal pictures illustrating 'It Came Upon a Midnight Clear' in a little book my mum had given us.
j
18. Favorite Part about winter?


So far, the colours - sky, trees, everything faded but still there.


j
19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe?
Mais bien sûr!

Now, over to you if you want to have a go:

1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider?
2. Turkey or Ham?
3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree?
4. Decorations on the outside of your house?
5. Snowball fights or sleddin’?
6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping?
7. Favorite Christmas song?
8. How do you feel about Christmas movies?
9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music?
10. Stockings before or after presents?
11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you?
12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when?
13. What do you do after presents and dinner?
14. What is your favorite holiday smell?
15. Ice skating or walking around the mall?
16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day?
17. Favorite Christmas memory?
18. Favorite Part about winter?
19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe?

11 comments:

Lx @ Twelve said...

Floss - that was a lovely read, thankyou...

I hope the lead up to Christmas is going well & is not to stressful.

Lx

Lorrie said...

What fun! It's a great way to get to know a little more about you.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Enjoyed reading your Christmas list....

Nina said...

Lovely, sweet dear Floss.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Vee said...

Thanks for inviting me to read this...I enjoyed it. And I learned a bit more French than I had known before. :D I also really like your outside decorations...birch lends itself so nicely to holiday decorating.

Andi's English Attic said...

That was fun. I may not post my answers but I'll certainly go through them for my own sake. xx

Purrfect Haven said...

I enjoyed reading about your likes and dislikes...Loved your outdoor deocrations what a super idea. Have a peaceful happy time. Helen x

Unknown said...

What a fun and interesting read! And what cute children's Nativity Sets! Very sweet. We've been busy enjoying various Advent activities for grandparents and grandchildren and I finally got to do Advent candles with them and they really enjoyed it even tho I did it without any wreaths. :) Christmas blessings.

Josie-Mary said...

What a great idea, I might give that a go later. Nice to hear more about you :) x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hi Floss, what a lovely outdoor disply you've set up!
Glad to hear that you'll spend Christmas with your dear dad!
xxx

P.s.Erm...do you shop in Decathlon perhaps?! My mum wears your same fleece :)

The Curious Cat said...

Going to give old Jethro Tull a listen me thinks... Love reading these answers! xxx