Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Homes for finds

Following my triumphant return from Sunday's Vide Grenier, I pottered about the house (dodging heat-grumpy family members, I have to be honest), putting my finds on display. After a good wash, the plates ended up on my now-full rack of stencilled French china. It's all in use and I guess I'm just going to rotate the pieces that go display in the rack! I put the holly bowl, which LissyLou likes best, with the two other 'French-style' bowls I bought at the brocante earlier this summer. If I get any more I'll put the holly one away until Christmas!
The sweet little hand painted cup ended up to the left of my favourite stencilled soup bowl.
Spot the broken plate behind a row of mis-matched jugs? I haven't done a 'themed by use' shelf before, but I think the jugs work OK. Son 1 gave me the blobby-glazed one on the right for my birthday this year. Ben and the boys scored big-time at a Vide Grenier when I was away on my London/Edinburgh trip!
And finally, THE frame. I bunged it here for now. Sometimes I go past it and think: 'Boy, I'm good".
Sometimes I go past it and think, "Good grief, that's pretentious".Time will tell. I can and will move it around!
The other, earlier, find that I'm really pleased with, is this blue and white tablecloth from an Edinburgh charity shop, bought stained and holed, in June.The French sun got rid of the worst of the stains, and I mended the worst holes. When I ironed it I hung it over the balcony, by coincidence on top of a red tablecloth. It was so pretty, and so in-keeping with my long-running red, white and blue obsession, that I decided to replicate the idea for our summer kitchen. (Some French people have a real summer kitchen - we just have a camping table with the toaster and coffee maker on the patio.) A clear plastic chopping-film does a good job of keeping most of the coffee stains off whatever cloth I have under the coffee maker.And finally, from the patio roof beams, hangs a string of Ben's chillis. If you're interested in his chilli jam recipe, by the way, it's basically the same as his darling Nigella's. He modifies it according to what's in the garden and the cupboard.Life is getting busy again - boys' friends staying, lessons, and then Ben's parents arriving on Thursday! So although this isn't an official blogging break, I don't see myself doing too many posts before the Rentrée, which will, of course, see my now traditional C'est la Rentrée Giveaway! You heard it here second... (I told Becca yesterday).

j

Thank you for all your comments, faithful friends, and new friends too! I really enjoyed reading what caught your eye from among my finds. Now, when I look at each item, I think of what you said about it...

17 comments:

Serenata said...

They have all found perfect homes. The frame Floss? Still not sure on that one, but perhaps it is because of what I can imagine my husband would say if I had a similar one. It looks pretty good where it is though framing the peacock feathers, vase and recorders.

Floss said...

The frame is very French - easier on the eye here because we see so many of them, perhaps.

Elizabethd said...

I love your shelves, you have caught the look perfectly. What a find the pretty tablecloth was too.

VintageVicki said...

I just love the idea of an outside summer kitchen - sadly things would get waterlogged here at the moment :(

Whilst I love the frame - I have a feather phobia so those peacock ones make me shiver :(

scrumptious days said...

We don't have an outside kitchen here in Brittany, it's almost autumnal now! I do love yours it looks so cosy!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I like the frame rather a lot! Perhaps I am pretentious, it's possible!

helen tilston said...

I love your tablecloth and the summer kitchen is a perfect place to enjoy breakfast. Enjoy your guests.
Helen xx

Nina said...

Wonderful finds! And wonderful ideas!

Sarah said...

Great idea regarding the rack - I made rather a lot of hospice/charity shop purchases last week whilst we were away and now I've got to re-home them all - much to the disgust of my husband....!

Ruth Fraser Davis said...

Love your dish collection, the sweet cloth (charity shops are among my best friends:)and summer kitchen. How clever. And here's one large approving vote for the framed peacock feathers. Very clever indeed and rather stunning methinks! Thanks always for your inspiration.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Looks like you've collected lots of treasures! Enjoyed my visit.

Wishing you glimpses......

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hi Floss, I've been reading your blog "in silence" lately, but I wanted to let you know how much I love looking at you finding the perfect place for your vintage finds! You never chase to amaze me!
Enjoy your break, I hope at least your heatwave has stopped?! We're dying in our humid 40°C!
xxx

Kit said...

Oh my, I am loving all your pretty china. What a great display. Kit

polkadotpeticoat said...

Yes you are good they all look so wonderfully displayed and I love all your beautiful dishes!!!

Paula said...

Don't they all look so lovely displayed like that? I've recently bought one or two very small and very pretty plates from the local charity shop.

Also wanted to say thank you for your lovely comment on my blog and particulalry for telling me the name of those flowers (hollyhocks) I've often wondered what the name might be but had no idea. I'll be posting the crumble recipe sometime tomorrow :-)

Julia said...

Great finds! Looks like what my mum, Dame Judi, and I would come home with!

magsmcc said...

I'm going with the "Boy, you're good" option!