Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"She felt that love was stronger still..."

This is Frances E Willard.This is my grandma!I think my grandma may have been the one who bought this Frances E Willard commemorative scarf, because they had something in common:
The poem above says it all - they were both involved in the Women's Temperance Movement.
Frances E Willard was the ' most famous member and second president' of the Women's Christian Temperance Movement. Read about her on their website here - they are still at work!
As you can see from the beautifully-drawn map and illustrations on the scarf, Frances E Willard was involved in all sorts of social projects to improve the life of ordinary Americans in the late 1800s, and was commemorated in hospitals, children's homes, libraties etc all over the States.I enjoy a glass of wine (hey, I live in France!). But when you realise that society was falling apart in the UK and the USA due to alcohol, abused to drown the misery of poverty (thus making poverty even worse, of course!), I think that the Temperance Movement was a powerful force for change, which encouraged women to work together for the good of society. My Grandma Signed the Pledge when she was young, in Wales, and never drank. My mum didn't drink either... so that's kind of died out in our generation, but it doesn't stop me from recognising the work of women social campaigners like Frances E Willard.
j
It also doesn't stop me from selling the 'scarf' (or piece of cotton, or whatever I should call it) on ebay for our family travel fund, set up by me and my sister in memory of our mum. I think that if the right bidders find it (how do I make sure they do?), this piece could be of interest to them...

7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a wonderful bit of history Floss. Maybe if you put it on at quite a high price with a bit about its origins, you might get someone who will treasure it?

Sherri B. said...

Have you thought of getting in touch with the organization? They may know of a collector or may like it for their own use...it might be worth a try. I think it is a great piece! xo

Julia said...

What a great history lesson this morning! I didn't realize the CWTU was still in operation! My middle daughter always said she wished she had lived during the beginning of the CWTU. She will love this bit.
Also love that the poem was by John G. Whittier, one of my favorites!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Interesting Floss, hope there's a collector out there somewhere for you.

Ruth Fraser Davis said...

A very great post filled with so much good and important history.

Nice to have the American connection in Mr. Whittier:)

Pink Feather Paradise said...

Im learning so much today... I've learnt about the art de mort this morning and all about the catacombs .... And now this... What a fabulous day it's been... Xx

Good luck selling it and I should list it using the poets name, the ladies name and the organisation name ... That way if someone searches for any of those it will pop up... Xx

Lola Nova said...

What an interesting piece! I'll bet there is someone out there looking for just this sort of thing! It is lovely!