Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Thrill of What You Already Have - April

This is the closest so far that I have come to cheating!The 'Thrill' is all about celebrating things that you have tucked away, with a new delight.
But the day I turned over the calendar to find this wonderfully purple picture was also the day that...
....I bought this purply flower embroidery at the Empaux Vide Grenier. In my defence, I did buy the embroidery before I peeked at the April picture! And when I saw it, I just had to put it in to my display based on the beautiful colours of the Aberdeen poster.
The other part of my display is something that's been in the house a bit longer - maybe only two years, though?I saw if for 5€ in a Troc Shop and wasn't sure - it certainly isn't my normal style, and 5€ is pushing it a bit...but I'm so happy I went for this rather zany embroidery with its purple, tattoo-style anchor.Here's a mahout on an elephant in India.An energetic Russian dancer.
Rice-picking in China.Is this oil from South Africa?A more traditional African scene, although using white embroidery silk for the Africans was, well, kind of different...Here are some well-covered women from Muslim East Africa.The USA hardly features, I'm afraid - what a Euro/Afro-centric world this embroiderer depicted!
And, assuming s/he came from France, I wonder what was in mind as the symbols of France and Spain? Some kind of food, I guess...The winds (you can glimpse a few above) and the adventurous ships are some of my favourite details:Blow, wind, blow!I love the reflection of this exotic boat with its orange sail.So a poster of Aberdeen has taken me around the world! I wonder what our other participants will find this month..?
*
I'm off to Edinburgh to spend about five days with my dad. We have planned some trips out and social visits, but I expect to have a little bit of time shopping and a little bit of time blogging, too! Hope to speak to you from Scotland, soon!

8 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

The emboidery is completely mad..but in the very best possible way! Have a wonderful time.
Jane x

polkadotpeticoat said...

its beautiful....I have never seen something so detailed....Your right with the name the thrill of what you already have.....lovely!
I have to join in this time again!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Emroidery is unusual! As purple is my favourite colour I think I might manage to come up with something this month!

Serenata said...

Have a lovely time with your Dad, shopping and visiting friends! Safe travels.

Lovely embroideries. :-)

Princess and the Pea said...

Oh my goodness Floss! I just love that embroidered travel map and it has given me a great idea of how to record my own travels! What a great find! I wonder if the pictures the artist has embroidered show where she has travelled to. Perhaps that's why there isn't much showing in America? Maybe she hadn't been there? X

Between Me and You said...

I like how boring old Britain has only a lot of hot air blowing in its general direction!
Bring warm clothes to Scotland. It hailstoned today!
April's Thrill is up for perusal.
Enjoy your break.

Alex said...

You have an eye for clour, Floss!
I like your comments on the World Map...they made me smile.
Have a great time in Scotland with your Dad.
God bless,
xxx Hazelnut / Alex

Purrfect Haven said...

have a lovely time and you do make us smile with your posts (always special). We love visiting, love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx