Sunday, June 15, 2014

Spritzdekor at the Vide Grenier

It's not often that you find a title on this blog in German, is it?
However, our local 'meduim-sized' Vide Grenier was on today, and I had a wonderful time there, including in my haul a piece of genuine Spritzdekor - can you work out which one it is?
The standard French plates I collect are stencilled, and in fact really they fit in with the description of Spritzdekor (which means sprayed stencil-ware, made between the wars). However, the Spritzdekor that I've seen in magazines always has a very modernistic quality to it, which means that, marvelous though they are, these boat plates aren't the real thing.
This, however, IS the real thing, and grubby though it looked on the stall, I had high hopes that it would be a nice little collector's piece once it went through the dishwasher.
And indeed it is as sparkly as any of the cake plates featured in this Martha Stewart Living article (thanks to my friend B for some copies of MSL a few year ago!) Apparantly they sell in America for about 25 dollars so they aren't really valuable, but I still think 50c for a slightly chipped one is very good! I won't use it for cakes - I think it will be just right as a coffee pot stand when I don't want the table cloth to get marked or dripped on.
These kitchen canisters are very much run-of-the-mill round here, but they still make a lovely collection, with or without their lids. I saw one in Homes and Antiques (perhaps, or maybe another magazine...) without its lid, holding cutlery, and I realised it was time to stop worrying if some of the canisters no longer have lids. After all, there's more than one use for a pretty canister:
In addition, I found a useful vintage zinc colander, to replace the nasty, peeling copy of a vintage one that I bought new a few years ago. There was also this charming little wooden measure.
I really love that.
On the washing line, and therefore not featuring in my kitchen-table photo shoot, is a lace stole. The woman I bought it from told me it's 1920s, and it's going to look great over a strappy/strapless dress on summer evenings. I can envisage it being worn a lot here in the next few months!

7 comments:

Janice said...

What brilliant finds. I am really enjoying my weekly jaunts to vide greniers in our region. As well as finding some brilliant bits and pieces, I'm getting to know the villages of the Aude and the Herault really well.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Floss your lace stole is a real find, it's very elegant and I imagine you will wear it well. I do like the canisters, blue and white china looks so fresh and tidy (what a long way I have come from not liking blue!) the german plate looks so 1970! - maybe you could sell it if it is collectable. Betty

Pom Pom said...

Hi Floss! Nice finds! I like the stole, too.

Jane and Chris said...

The flour ,tea, and pepper containers would find themselves holding herbs in my kitchen.
Jane x

BusyLizzie said...

Gorgeous finds and I have learnt something this morning! Best wishes, Lizzie

polkadotpeticoat said...

You found some fabulous treasures your Spritzdekor steals the show, wow what an amazing piece!
I'm so sorry its been so long since I visited, Heidi

Purrfect Haven said...

how exciting to find all those splendid things! Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx